Useful information about the Vatican
– PAPAL AUDIENCES: A ticket – always free of charge – is required for attending the General Audience on Wednesday mornings or other papal ceremonies. They are issued by the Prefecture of the Papal Household reached by way of the Bronze Door. The office is open Mondays from 9:00 to 13:00 and Tuesdays from 9:00 to 18:00.
To request a ticket:
telephone +39.06.69883114 – +39.06.69884631; or fax +39.06.69885863.
– ST. PETER’S BASILICA: The Basilica is open every day from 7.00 to 19.00, April to September and from 7.00 to 18.00, October to March. To preserve the sacred character of the church, groups consisting of more than five members and accompanied by a guide are kindly requested to use “audio-guides” which can be rented at the entrance to the Basilica. Proper dress is required for admission to the Basilica.
To rent “audio-guides”:
telephone +39.06.69883229 or +39.06.69881898.
– VISIT TO THE DOME: Visits to the dome of St. Peter’s are possible every day from 8.00 to 18.00, April to September and from 8.00 to 17.00, October to March. The entrance is at the portico of the Basilica.
– VATICAN GROTTOES: The Vatican Grottoes are open every day from 7.00 to 18.00, April to September and from 7.00 to 17.00, October to March. The entrance is at the transept of St. Peter’s Basilica.
– VISIT TO THE VATICAN MUSEUMS: The Vatican Museums are open weekdays from 10:00 to 13:45 during November – February (except during the Christmas period when they are open from 8:45 to 16:45). During March – October the Museums are open Monday – Friday from 10:00 to 16:45 and Saturdays from 10:00 to 14:45. On the last Sunday of each month the Museums can be visited free of admission charge from 9:00 to 13:45. Entrance to the Museums is not possible from 75 minutes before closing time.
Open tour of the Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Full ticket: € 17.00.
- Reduced ticket: € 8.00.
- Online booking fee: € 4.00.